University of Birmingham
Advances in computer science allow us to collect and store more data than ever before. However, making sense of all of this data is a challenge. Our MSc in Data Science will give you the skills to address these challenges through the use of computation.
Book your place and join us on Wednesday 16 March to explore your postgraduate options
How do we use algorithms responsibly, ethically and legally? How do we visualise the results? In the very near future, most commercial and governmental organisations will depend on their ability to meet these challenges.
This Data Science Masters/MSc has been designed to get people from a variety of academic backgrounds up to speed with the state-of-the-art in data science. You'll learn programming and data management skills so that you can collect and manipulate data, advanced techniques for analysing and revealing patterns in data, and visualisation skills so that you can turn large data sets into something decision-makers can make sense of.
You will study six, 20-credit fundamental compulsory modules and a 60-credit data science project. You will come to understand the cutting-edge contemporary challenges in data science and in a 20-credit group project you will try solving them through collaboration, and then complete a substantial individual project during which you will be able to showcase what you have learned.
By the end of the programme you'll be ready to apply your knowledge to help organisations understand the huge amounts of data they collect every day.
Why study Data Science Masters/MSc at Birmingham?
- Birmingham is one of the leading universities in the country for postgraduate study in computer science, and we are proud to deliver outstanding programmes that offer a range of exciting career opportunities for students from around the world.
- State-of-the-art, multi-million-pound facilities include dedicated laboratories for Computer Science students, a teaching laboratory for Robotics, and research laboratories for Security, Medical Imaging Intelligent Robotics and Computer Vision
- We are a partner in The Alan Turing Institute, the UK's national institute for data science and artificial intelligence
- Our Security and Privacy Group is recognised as an EPSRC/GCHQ Academic Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Research and we have a strong collaboration with the Centre for Computational Biology (CCB)
At the School of Computer Science we are not just renowned for teaching and research excellence. We also produce novel solutions for real-world applications, including:
- Working with Jaguar Land Rover to make their vehicles more secure
- Contributing to the development of the Trusted Platform Module which makes many of our computers capable of secure cryptographic operations
- Deploying autonomous, intelligent robots in security and health support facilities
- Developing a revolutionary, award-winning method for diagnosing skin cancer
2:1 Honours degree in any subject plus Grade A (or above) in A Level Mathematics or equivalent (if your first degree is not Mathematics). Please upload evidence of this at the point of making your application. We cannot consider your application without this.
If you have have undertaken studies outside the UK and have not taken A Levels, you can check if you hold the suitable equivalent.
Students who have not studied in English must pass a recognised English test. Learn more about entry requirements.
Please note that we are operating a staged admissions process for this programme as it is very competitive, and as such this is the minimum entry requirement. For more information on the gathered field process, please see our how to apply section.
Either: A four year Bachelors degree (first class or very good upper second class)
Or: A three year Bachelors degree (first class) from recognised institutions in India.
For MSc programmes, the Business School will consider holders of three-year degree programmes (first class or very good upper second class) from recognised institutions in India.
For entry to LLM programmes, Birmingham is happy to accept applications from 3 or 5 year LLB holders from India from prestigious institutions.
For students whose first language is not English, one of the following English language qualifications are required:
- IELTS: 6.5 overall, with 5.5 minimum band score;
- TOEFL: 88 overall with no less than 19 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 21 in Speaking and 19 in Writing;
- PTE Academic: Academic 67 overall with no less than 59 in all four skills.
Further information about postgraduate English language requirements, including alternative qualifications considered and Pre-Sessional English.
Program Reviews -
University of Birmingham
|Starting Date:||Submission deadline||Status|
|January 2022||July 2022||Open Now|