University of Glasgow
- Our School is ranked in the top 15 in the UK (Complete University Guide 2022).
- This is the only programme in the UK that focuses on cartography. The programme has been running since 1963 and celebrated its 50th birthday in 2013.
- This programme is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (CICES), when fully completed with the award of an MSc.
- If you are seeking a career in geographic information management or cartography and have little or no academic background in this subject: or if you have a technical/practical background in the subject and are seeking an academic qualification; this programme is designed for you.
- The MSc in Geoinformation Technology and Cartography is a one-year Masters programme aimed at those seeking a career in Geographic Information management or cartography. The focus of the course is on understanding and managing the locational data underpinning Geographic Information Systems (GIS), visualisation and map production in a GIS environment.
- You will benefit from access to our extensive computer laboratories and the latest software, including ArcGIS and MapInfo for GIS, graphic design packages and remote sensing processing software.
- The programme will include either attendance a 3-day GIS research conference (depending on dates), or a short residential field course. Costs for this are included within the programme fee.
- The School of Geographical & Earth Sciences has an Athena Swan Silver Award, demonstrating the school’s commitment to supporting women in scientific studies and careers, and to improving the working environment for all.
Semester 1 – 60 credits
- GEOSPATIAL FUNDAMENTALS (20 credits)
- PRINCIPLES OF GIS (10 credits)
- LAND SURVEYING I (10 credits)
- TOPOGRAPHIC MODELLING AND LANDSCAPE MONITORING (10 credits)
- ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL SKILLS FOR GES PGT (10 credits)
Semester 2 – 60 credits
- APPLIED GIS (10 credits)
- GEOSPATIAL DATA INFRASTRUCTURES AND LAND ADMINISTRATION (10 credits)
- PRINCIPLES OF CARTOGRAPHIC DESIGN & PRODUCTION (10 credits)
- VISUALISATION & MAP USE (10 credits)
- WEB AND MOBILE MAPPING (10 credits)
- REMOTE SENSING OF THE ENVIRONMENT (10 credits)
Summer – 60 credits
- GEOMATICS MSC PROJECT (60 credits)
Programme alteration or discontinuation
The University of Glasgow endeavours to run all programmes as advertised. In exceptional circumstances, however, the University may withdraw or alter a programme. For more information, please see: Student contract.
Career opportunities exist in both the private and public sectors and there is currently high demand for GIS skills. Positions include cartographer with map publishing company, government agency, or private service agency; GIS specialist, ranging from support in large corporations (banking, insurance, retail), environmental consultancies, local authorities, utility companies; mapping specialist with software house or geoinformation data provider.
Graduates of this programme have gone on to work for companies such as Scottish Water, Natural Power, Arcus, Harper-Collins Cartographic, BT and British Antarctic Survey. Positions include GIS Cartographer, GIS Operator and GIS Analyst
Program Reviews -
University of Glasgow
|Starting Date:||Submission deadline||Status|
|January 1970||January 1970|