University of Birmingham
The Management Mathematics PhD examines the basic concepts in a broad range of managerial, industrial and scientific problems and illustrate how these may be applied in a variety of contexts to provide powerful solutions.
The group consists of internationally known researchers and has several funded collaborations in various subject areas. Members of the group have various and wide-ranging experience in industrial co-operation and industrial research projects. Past and present work includes projects and co-operation with Advanced Bell Lab Technologies, Avis Rent-a-Car, Blue Gate Brussels, Hongkong International Terminals (HIT), Hydro Quebec Canada, JPC Consulting, Region de Bruxelles-Capitale, RWE AG, RAG AG, ThyssenKrupp Industries, EADS, Airbus UK and Ultramar Oil.
The main research focus of our internationally renowned Theoretical and Computational Optimisation Group is on mathematical theory and methods applicable to managerial decision-making, particularly non-linear, discrete, and multicriteria optimisation. Research is typically a mixture of theoretical investigation and practical application or industrial collaboration. In some cases it is theoretical and leads to the development of new mathematical theories applicable in management mathematics.
Training is provided through individual supervision of research, by advanced seminar courses and conferences, and by generic courses. The PhD degree usually involves a qualifying dissertation submitted during the second year of study, which is helpful training for writing the PhD thesis.
Postgraduate students in the Management Mathematics Group acquire widely useful knowledge and skills, ranging from theory to computational implementation and live applications. By giving seminars, attending conferences and presenting papers, students prepare themselves for professional life.
Why study Management Mathematics PhD at Birmingham?
- The School of Mathematics has a strong research culture, with researchers of international stature in each of its main specialisms.
- The University of Birmingham is one of the prestigious Russell group research-intensive Universities in the UK. The School of Mathematics attracts gifted graduate students from across the world.
- The School collaborates widely with multiple disciplines, including Biological and Medical Sciences, Chemical Engineering and within industry. In particular, Birmingham is an emerging centre for multidisciplinary Biological Systems Science research, and is in a unique position, being adjacent to one of the largest super-hospitals in Europe, catering for a highly diverse population.
- Learn from world leaders in their fields.
A 2:1 Honours degree in a Mathematics-related subject, or a lower degree plus an MSc or substantial relevant experience. Learn more about entry requirements.
Either: A four year Bachelors degree (first class or very good upper second class)
Or: A three year Bachelors degree (first class) from recognised institutions in India.
For MSc programmes, the Business School will consider holders of three-year degree programmes (first class or very good upper second class) from recognised institutions in India.
For entry to LLM programmes, Birmingham is happy to accept applications from 3 or 5 year LLB holders from India from prestigious institutions.
For students whose first language is not English, one of the following English language qualifications is required:
IELTS 6.0 with no less than 5.5 in any band is equivalent to:
- TOEFL: 80 overall with no less than 19 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 21 in Speaking and 19 in Writing
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Academic 64 with no less than 59 in all four skills
- Cambridge English (exams taken from 2015): Advanced – minimum overall score of 169, with no less than 162 in any component
International students applying for this programme will need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office before the University can issue you with a Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). We recommend that you apply for your ATAS certificate as soon as you receive an offer from us. More information can be found here: www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/what-we-do/services-we-deliver/atas/.
Program Reviews -
University of Birmingham
|Starting Date:||Submission deadline||Status|
|January 2022||July 2022||Open Now|